“Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love”
~ Hamilton Wright Mabie
Holiday Magic and My Favorite Things
The holidays of Thanksgiving, Hanukah, Christmas and New Year’s have officially begun, and I am so excited as it unfolds each special gift. What a wonderful time when all is focused on love and giving – the sentiment, the change in focus, the energy and the opportunity for celebration, gathering and stopping to give thanks and outwardly show our love are the things I love most about it. Even though these qualities can and do occur year round, for some reason, there is a bit of magic that infiltrates everything this time of year. And I love it!
Today I want to wish each of you a very happy holiday season! To start it out right, here are a few of my favorite things to remind you of the magic that is all around us. These are the simple beauties that inspire and motivate me. I invite you to take a minute and share with me what inspires you too.
Love and hugs – Sandy
A Few of My Favorite Holiday Things:
- a crackling, cozy fire in the fireplace
- decadent hot chocolate topped with homemade whipped cream
- listening to Carpenters Christmas album
- drinking eggnog
- looking at the cards at Papyrus
- being with my two wonderful grown up kids
- going to pick out the Christmas tree
- making and eating squash casserole (for my recipe go to: http://wp.me/p14m59-10R)
- rubbing up against the Christmas trees at the tree seller and taking the pine scent home on my coat
- cooking with my family and the mayhem in the kitchen
- drinking hot spiced tea by the fire
- presents under the tree
- fresh baked pumpkin pie with real whipped cream
- hanging a lights and decorating the front porch
- drinking wine and baking with friends
- creating the perfect holiday cards to send to special friends
- watching classic holiday films – It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street
- shopping for little stocking stuffers
- hitting the $1 section at Target and sending “care” boxes to my loved ones
- snow flakes falling on Christmas Eve
- listening to and singing “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” and “White Christmas“
- laying under my mom’s HUGE Christmas tree like a kid
- snow sledding under the full moon
- hanging the stockings by the fireplace for my kids and granddogs
- mom’s stockings that she hangs over her mantel and the surprises they contain
- shopping for treasures and special ornaments
- taking chilly walks and stomping through the colorful leaves
- Bing Crosby, Barbara Streisand, Frank Sinatra, and Mariah Carey, Michael Bublé, MJB holiday music
- learning about and experiencing how others celebrate their holidays
- donating time or singing for local charities or special schools
- hosting a festive gathering at my home for special friends and family
- having coffee and shuffling around the house early in the morning in my cozy pajamas
- a chance to reflect on the amazing year I experienced
- endless scarves to choose from
- city streets and trees outlined in colorful lights
- going out in the neighborhood and doing some old-fashioned Christmas caroling with the family
- wrapping presents with beautiful papers and ribbons
- pumpkin bread with a homemade latte topped with cinnamon
- spending more time with my parents and family, loved ones and friends
- dressing up and going out to dinner for a special holiday night
- quiet walks and talks with family after we have eaten the holiday turkey
- an opportunity for a fresh start
- new chances to love and give
Wishing you a grateful heart, unconditional love and abiding peace – Happy Holidays!
Other posts on SaturdaySoul:
A world created from passion – passion has it’s downfalls, but how could we live without it?
love’s the only gift worth giving – we look for what will heal and comfort us, but it is right here in front of us!
Dazed in an Ice Cocoon – sometimes we think we will die in our icy little cocoon, but we will emerge again.
You Will Receive Wisdom on Your Journey – don’t forget to grab a little wisdom along the way!
[…] Holiday Magic and My Favorite Things – my favorite holiday things for you to jump start the holiday season […]